The Pilgrimage of Thanksgiving across the New Benefice of Whorlton 2019
There is a spiritual theme to this year’s walk, ’The Pilgrimage of Thanksgiving and Unity Across the New Benefice of Whorlton’, which takes in all eight churches cared for by our Clergy, Rev. Canon John Ford, Rev. Robert Opala and Rev. Alison Hutchinson.
Walkers and pilgrims can choose to take part in the short spiritual and religious activities on the way (a short prayer will be said in each Church in different traditions), or just enjoy a great day’s walking.
The full walk is long – 12.8 miles, so many may only want to walk sections. The complete walk starts at the church in Middleton at 8am and will finish at the church in Carlton between 3-4pm. All times are approximate.
Bring some lunch and drinks, which we will enjoy together in Swainby.
Be prepared weather-wise. Dogs welcome – on lead.
Car parking is limited at Middleton and Carlton, but there is a large car park below the church in Faceby.
A tractor and trailer will be available to take about 16 people to the starting point at Middleton as outlined below.
1) Tractor 1st Pick up Station: Crathorne at Grange Farm – 7:30 am
2) Tractor 2nd Pick up Station: Hutton Rudby (outside the Hub) at 7:45 am
3) Tractor 3rd & Final Station: Middleton Church at 8:00 am
Picking up Pilgrims at Faceby church car park and dropping them on the way back to Crathorne.
Anyone wishing to use this should telephone 01642 700225, leave a message if necessary with name and number. This will be on a first come, first served basis, but people are urged to take advantage of this as the parking is tricky at both locations.
An outline of the programme is shown below:-
- 8.00am – Start of Pilgrimage from St. Cuthbert Church, Middleton-on-Leven, TS15 0JT and walk to Crathorne (3.3 miles)
- 10.00am – short prayer at All Saints Church, Crathorne, TS15 0BB then walk to Hutton Rudby (3.0 miles)
- 11.00am – tea, coffee, soft drinks, biscuits and prayer at All Saints Church.
- Walk from Hutton Rudby to St. Mary’s Church, Cooper Lane, Potto, DL6 3HQ and on to Swainby. (3.6 miles)
- 1.00pm – picnic lunch (bring your own) at Swainby Church Hall
- 1.30pm ish – walk to the Old Church of the Holy Cross in Whorlton for Eucharist service of Thanksgiving (0.5 miles)
- The walk continues to the church of St Mary Magdalene at Faceby and St Botolph in Carlton where the pilgrimage will end with a blessing. (2.4 miles)
Maps of each segment of the walk will be available from each of the stops.